Head of Service Management - Technology services
We are looking for a Service Management lead who is passionate about delivering high performance IT systems and processes. The company has a proven technology platform and services that deliver 1st-class experiences to their customers.
Trusted by its customers for its security, performance and reliability, my client is focused on keeping their clients at the forefront of the fast-moving technology and social landscape.
The Head of Service Management ensures technology services are designed, planned, implemented and improved in line with both current and future business needs in line with best in class change management practices.
The jobholder engages, coordinates and supports technology functions across all areas to ensure the consistent deployment of processes, tools and technology essential for effective service delivery and development.
Functions and processes include:
• Technology Service Management strategy
• Technology services stakeholder relationship management
• Operational and planned service supplier relationship management
• Technology continuity management
• Financial management for technology services
• Knowledge management in relation to planned and operational systems and services.
1. Ensure the coherent and effective management of the processes, systems and people required to design, develop, deliver and improve technology services to meet needs now and in the future. This includes:
a. The preparation for new or changed services, oversight of the change process and the maintenance of regulatory, legal and professional standards
b. Leadership of operational technology services, for example incident and request handling, through the direction of the Service Desk Manager
c. The management of performance of systems and services in terms of their contribution to business performance
d. The management of bought-in services
e. The development of continual improvement plans to ensure that technology services adequately support business needs now and in the future.
2. During the design and implementation of new services and throughout the service life-cycle, analyse and coordinate relationships with and between stakeholders, in relation to the technology services they need.
3. During the design and implementation of new services and throughout the service life-cycle, identify and manage external suppliers to ensure successful delivery of technology services Worldwide.
4. Provide technology service continuity planning and support, within the context of overall business continuity plans.
5. Ensure overall financial management, control and stewardship of the IT assets and resources used in the provision of technology services.
6. Ensure that adequate documentation, information repositories, staff training and other items essential for knowledge gathering, transfer and retention are in place throughout the full life-cycle for all supported systems and services
7. Recruit, lead, motivate, develop and manage the performance of direct reports, building a high calibre team with the skills and capabilities needed to deliver the required results.
Scope & Impact
The Head of Service Management has responsibility for ensuring that technology services to users meet the needs of the business in a consistent, effective and efficient manner.
The jobholder takes general direction from the CTO and works alongside the Technology Operations Manager and Head of Programme/Development, while working with minimum supervision on a day to day basis.
The jobholder also provides specialist advice to the CTO on matters relating to service management.
The jobholder is responsible for a service management team of 12 people, with a brief to grow the service management process and resulting people structures required but also delivers his/her accountabilities through communication, negotiation and influence across the organisation.
Strategic Planning & Decision Making
Skills and Experience:
Knowledge & Skills
IT (Services) Management
• Excellent at identifying and managing resources needed to plan, develop and deliver technology services
• Strong influencer of senior level customers and technology teams, ensuring that services are managed to agreed levels of availability and performance
• Strong technology service management budgeting, estimating, planning and objective setting skills
• Knowledge sufficient to plan and manage the implementation of processes, tools and methods for monitoring and managing the performance of systems and services, in respect of their contribution to business performance and benefits to the business
• Practical knowledge of monitoring people, supplier and systems performance, taking corrective action where necessary.
Stakeholder Relationship Management
• Excellent interpersonal skills to act as a single point of contact for senior business stakeholders in relation to technology services
• Excellent communication skills with non-technical stakeholders to ensure that they understand the available technology services, and to promote financial awareness to deliver value-for-money
• Strong analytical and influencing skills to assess demand for services and ensure that the necessary investments are made to deliver required services
• Able to negotiate at senior level on technical and commercial issues, to ensure that customers, suppliers and other stakeholders understand and agree what will meet their needs, and that appropriate service level agreements are defined.
Supplier Relationship Management (Minimum SFIA Skills Level 6)
• Able to influence policy and procedures covering the selection of suppliers, tendering and procurement, promoting good practice in third party management
• Well-developed commercial skills to identify and manage external partners
• Expert at the management and maintenance of the relationship with suppliers of planned and operational services.
• Sufficiently strong knowledge to lead technology service continuity planning and implementation (within the context of overall business continuity planning)
• Communication and liaison skills to coordinate the identification of information and communication systems which support the critical business processes, and the assessment of risks to the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of those systems
• Analytical skills to evaluate the critical risks associated with these systems and identifies priority areas for improvement
• Good at coordinating the planning, designing, testing and maintenance of procedures and plans to ensure that agreed levels of continuity are maintained.
Financial management for IT
• Financial management knowledge to monitor and manage technology services expenditure (including software licences, maintenance and other recurring expenditure), ensuring that financial targets are met and examining any areas where spend may exceed agreed budgets or varies significantly from previous forecasts
• Able to assist with the definition and operation of effective financial control and decision making, especially in the areas of service cost models and the allocation and apportionment of those costs.
• Has a good understanding of ideas and principles underpinning Service Knowledge Management Systems, which are the repositories of data, information and knowledge that technology functions need to manage the life-cycle of their services.
A degree in a service-related business or a technology discipline is desirable.
An ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library), ISO 20000 Service Management Standard or similar professional qualification is desirable.
Must have technology service operations experience, including prior management experience in at least one service management area (service design, transition, operation or improvement). As experience of the full technology service life-cycle is required, it is unlikely that the jobholder will have previously worked for less than 7 years in a technology services function.
For more info contact Eoin on 474 4613 or apply for this role online
Following your application for this specific role, Sigmar may contact you regarding other positions that we feel you may be suitable for. If you do not wish to be contacted about other opportunities please let us know. For further information please refer to the Privacy Statement on our website.