The Unit Manager is responsible for the care delivered to the young people living in a residentialCare house and for the staff who deliver that care. You will be responsible for ensuring that the care given meets with company policies and procedures and with national regulations and that the environment in which the care is given is homely, clean, safe and appropriate for the young people’s ages and stages of development.
As a member of the Region’s Management team, the Unit Manager contributes to the development of strategies, policies and systems related to all aspects of Operations, and to their implementation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- a) Young People
Ensure at all times that all children and young people in the residential Care’s services are looked after safely, professionally and in a way which ensures that they achieve their maximum potential, in line with the mission, stated model of care and vision statement.
- b) Staff
Ensure that all staff are treated with respect and that their health, safety and wellbeing is safeguarded during their time at work.
- c) Direct Management
- Personally support, supervise and guide their Childcare Leaders and all permanently employed care workers for whom the postholder has responsibility in a way which keeps them motivated, committed and enthusiastic so that they are equipped to consistently deliver high quality, child centred services.
- Support the Child Care Leaders in supervising the staff (student placement, Relief or Social Care Workers, Night Sitters) that you assign to them to supervise in a way which keeps them motivated, committed and enthusiastic so that they are equipped to consistently deliver high quality, child centred services.
- On behalf of the organisation, hold their Childcare Leaders and all Social Care staff, including relief staff and waking night staff accountable for their performance.
- Provide direct support and assistance to key workers, Social Care Workers and Regional Managers in the assessment and provision of documentation to referring agents, and positively support and facilitate the movement of referrals into our services.
- Provide direct support and assistance to key workers, Care Workers and Regional Managers in the production of accurate, well written reports to social workers and other professionals involved with a child’s care, and their families where appropriate.
- d) Ensuring an appropriate environment
- Ensure at all times that the house for which the postholder is responsible is clean, welcoming, homely, warm and safe. – in short, that it is fit for purpose.
- Ensure the management of the maintenance log for the house, keeping it up to date, and signing off on work completed. Holding the maintenance service accountable for their work by complaining, in writing, to the maintenance manager and the regional manager if work is unsatisfactory or incomplete.
- e) Team Management
- Lead a cohesive, focused and effective staff team in the delivery of high quality services which comply at all times with regulations and standards. Manage the team effectively and appropriately and ensure staff are properly trained, so they are equipped to deliver child care which meets and exceeds the regulatory standards and requirements.
- Fully participate in the regional 24 hour on-call service, so that staff in the region have, at all times, access to direct help and support by telephone.
- When organisational change processes are initiated at Board and Senior Management Team level, lead the change process at unit/ house level to its successful conclusion.
- f) Financial Control
- Take responsibility for the house budget, ensuring that spending is kept within approved limits at all times.
- Ensure budgets in all areas of the house services are adhered to, and that appropriate and effective financial controls are in place, and are operated according to procedures and in line with good financial management practice and good governance.
- Within budget, and in a timely fashion, in consultation with the Regional Manager, ensure that the unit has an appropriate, qualified and balanced staff team with sufficient relief to deliver the service safely.
- Within budget, and at all times, ensure that the house has appropriate, furniture, transport, food and other resources so that the children can be cared for safely and properly, and staff are safe and treated with respect by the Company.
- g) Meeting Standards
- Actively engage in auditing and performance management system, operating it appropriately.
- Ensure that the house, at all times, receives excellent feedback from TUSLA monitoring / inspection recommendations.
- Ensure at all times that regulatory and procedural requirements (Child Care, Health & Safety, HR etc) are met.
- Conduct grievance and disciplinary investigations and hearings, as appropriate, according to procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook and in line at all times with advice from our HR advisers and insurers.
- h) External Relationships
- Develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with TUSLA inspectors, Monitoring Officers, CFA Team Leaders, CFA Social Workers, Gardai, Garda Superintendents and Inspectors, CAMHS teams, School Principals and all other key stakeholders in the delivery of services to our children.
- Generate new business for the Company by the effective use of relationships with key stakeholders and potential customers.
- Support the development of new services as required, helping to set up buildings, helping to recruit and inducting new managers.
- i) Reporting
- Provide written and verbal reports, as required, to the Regional Manager and other managers as required by the Regional Manager. Ensure all statutory and standard reports are made to the TUSLA and other professionals, as required, in the times required and to the standard required.
- Deputise for the Regional Director when necessary, representing the interests and views of the organisation
Following your application for this specific role, Sigmar may contact you regarding other positions that we feel you may be suitable for. If you do not wish to be contacted about other opportunities please let us know. For further information please refer to the Privacy Statement on our website.